According to the World Wildlife Fund (WWF), the equivalent of 300 football fields are being destroyed every hour in South-East Asia. In the last 20 years, over 3.5 million hectares of Indonesian and Malaysian forest have been destroyed to make way for palm oil. I can’t even begin to wrap my head around these statistics!
But here’s the real heartbreaker: we are left with only 60,600 orangutans as invading palm oil plantations push humankind’s closest kin to the brink of extinction.
- Vegetable oil
- Elaeis Guineensis or Elaeis Oleifera
- Sodium lauryl/laureth sulphate (can also be derived from coconut oil)
- Cetearyl alcohol
- Palmate, palmitic acid or acetyl palmitate
- Glyceryl stearate
- Sodium kernelate
- Check product labels for signs they may contain palm oil and err on the side of caution
- Download the free Palm Oil Investigations app to your mobile www.palmoilinvestigations.org
- Let the diligent team at The Vegan Box do the work for you! They ensure that every product that comes to you in your monthly box is 100% palm oil free! Like the creamy little bar of soap from The Australian Natural Soap Company. Handmade with natural plant oils and quality raw ingredients sourced from Australian farmers — this little bar will have you declaring your beauty routine 100% palm oil free forevermore! I cleansed my body with the pure macadamia bar after a dry brushing and my skin was singing!
Emma Bailie is a freelance journalist, vegan blogger and travel-memoir writer. She is passionate about animal rights, social justice and the inner peace that can be found when dining on the tragically misrepresented potato. She has to read magazines back to front but she doesn’t quite know why. She prefers her hot chips cold but that’s just between you and her, okay?