THE ULTIMATE GUIDE ON FACIAL OILS
Facial oils solve a diverse range of skincare pain points and can be used in multiple ways. Plant oils can be used to cleanse, balance and calm the skin, they are also the perfect emollient to add in targeted ingredients to help treat specific skincare woes.
We feature a beautiful face oil in the current Beauty Box from Australian skincare company, Skin Muk. The CASSIOPEIA oil is a lush and nourishing blend of rose and neroli valued at $49.95 (the SAME price of the box with another 6 products in it!)
We wanted to know more about the BENEFITS of using face oils and HOW to use them best…here’s what Skin Muk told us….
Vegan facial oils are worth the extra step in your skincare routine, and here’s why!
- Plant oils are generally suited to all skin types which takes the stress out of choosing the right product.
- They are skin food! Boasting a natural source of vitamins, minerals and omega fatty acids they provide your skin with a valuable source of nutrition.
- They contain anti-inflammatory properties to help calm and soothe the most irritated skin
- Provide a protective barrier to lock in hydration…..bye-bye dehydrated skin!
- Combined with a gua sha, Facial oils provide the ultimate skin-plumping duo.
- They are versatile and can be used with other products, pop a few drops in your foundation or moisturiser for that extra glow.
- Organic plant oils will also help break down and dissolve your makeup so that you can go on to cleanse your skin.
Cassiopeia from Skin Muk is the ULTIMATE secret weapon in any skincare routine.
Plant oils are highly concentrated. Cassiopeia is formulated specifically with rose, neroli and vitamin E to target redness, sunspots and acne scarring.
Facial oils can replicate the skin’s natural barrier function and this is why they are so epic at locking in hydration! We recommend using a toning mist or aqua-based moisturiser before finishing off with vegan facial oil.
Why paste synthetic and mineral oils on your skin when you have access to the most gentle and effective plant oils found in nature?
Most synthetic oils are comedogenic (pore blocking) whereas the right facial oil can help balance both oily or dry skin.
Benefits of facial oils (some sciency stuff!)
A study by Tzu-Kai Lin, Lily Zhong and Juan Luis Santiago (2018) examined the therapeutic benefits of plant oils. The focus was on the anti-inflammatory and antioxidant effects on the skin. Wound healing and skin barrier repair of topically applied plant oils were also examined. Here’s a summary of what they concluded…
- The researchers found that organic facial oils decrease trans-epidermal water loss which increases skin barrier function and restores hydration.
- The researchers all agreed that vegan facial oils are beneficial as an early intervention for the treatment of atopic dermatitis.
- Tzu-Kai Lin et al. recognise that topically applied organic facial oils offer higher bioavailability of nutrients in the skin.
- Monounsaturated fatty acids such as oleic acid have been shown to act as permeability enhancers for other minerals and vitamins that are in facial oils.
- Other plant compounds including tocopherols have shown to have anti-inflammatory properties that reduce inflammation and restore skin barrier function.
And now for the HOW…
- Make sure you start with a blank canvas by cleaning and exfoliating your skin, we love a good double cleanse.
- Add 2 -3 drops of oil to clean hands and massage gently into your skin in upward motions. Remember a little goes a long way!
- You can add a drop or two of facial oil to your favourite moisturiser for extra hydration and skin nutrition.
- Apply the facial oil underneath your SPF in the mornings, if you are worried about too much glow generally the matting effect of SPF dulls the shine.
- Facial oil is a great way to boost your foundation, making it last longer and adding an extra glow to your complexion.
- Our skin naturally produces more sebum (oil) through the night and in the morning, sebum production then drops off later in the day which means our skin loves extra hydration and oil at night time. If you are concerned about “oily skin” use facial oil before bed.
Time to fall in love with your skin all over again.
Lin, T.-K.; Zhong, L.; Santiago, J.L. Anti-Inflammatory and Skin Barrier Repair Effects of Topical Application of Some Plant Oils. Int. J. Mol. Sci. 2018, 19, 70.
So there you have it! EVERY reason to USE plant based facial oil….and HOW to use it the best!
If you are excited about joining the facial oil converts, head over to buy the current Vegan Beauty Box and you’ll get a bottle of the highly recommended Cassiopeia oil AND 6 other fabulous Aussie vegan beauty products all for just $49.95.
OR for the ridiculous price of $99.95 you can get our Mother’s Day special which combines this jam packed box with a luxe vegan leather beauty bag from BeautyBound (valued at $64.99) and FREE SHIPPING!
That’s OVER $200 worth of products, vegan, cruelty free and free shipping for just $99.95 (but only while stocks last!)